Monday, August 10, 2020

the color purple

Have I really seen this film about 100 times without knowing Steven Spielberg directed it?

All I seem to cling to is the music and Whoopi Goldberg.  She is just incredible.  

A couple of weeks ago, I bought my youngest a label maker, and she went to town.  I went to do dishes, and she had labeled the kitchen window.

"Window" 

It brought me back to this film, that back in the vhs days I watched over and over.  When I finally read the book, I still wasn't experienced enough to understand all the subtlety.  

I can recall causing quite a stir in my white bread high school junior class with my presentation on women characters in film.

I got real high tech, with two VCRs, and had a 10 minute presentation ready with narrative and film.  I used more than one clip from this film, and of course Jenny from Forest Gump, Scarlet O'Hara, Abigail Adams from 1776, scenes from 9 to 5.   

I have to say that at that time in my life (16) I was aware that women were not on the same level as men, but I don't think I was fully aware of how deep it ran.  I focused on the brilliant and (of course) deep scenes the most.  

When the scene with Miss Ceelie and Sug Avery kiss came up on the screen, one of my sheltered classmates verbalized that he was offended.

My teacher (that I hated) to her credit, ignored him, and allowed my presentation to play to completion.


That was 1994.

Today, in 2020, the powers that be tried to block us from watching "Gone with the Wind" because of the depictions of black slaves.  I was horrified.  That happened.  It isn't cool, it wasn't right, it's fucking terrible and I can't imagine that reality.  But, regardless, it was real, that did happen, and to deny or hide it (in my opinion) actually is more harmful and disrespectful than allowing the film to be what it is.

I think it's dangerous to obliterate the past.  No matter how fucked up it is.  Actually, the more fucked up it was, the more harmful it is to erase the reminders.  

Good God, people actually owned other people.  That is incomprehensible to me.  I know it really happened.  I know there was a whole industry and many a white man's fortunes were built upon it.  To me it's impossible.  Yet I know it was a recent reality.  

I cannot stress enough how much the slave trade was completely fucked up in every imaginable way.  I cannot deny that the wonderful actresses that portrayed slaves in "Gone with the Wind" faced a life of segregation and inequality.  I have no intention of not recognizing that, nor that I can not identify with that because the benefit of my privileged pedigree.  I have light skin, blue eyes and red hair.  I can't even begin to walk a mile in the shoes of a human that was "property".  Thank God 

Now bear with me, again it is not my intention to lessen the completely fucked up history of African slaves in America.  I do, however, am afraid and embarrassed to bring forth the mistreatment of all women, still to this day.  I feel like that's still ok, somehow.  

In all the film's I chose for that English class presentation in 1994, women were portrayed as what women actually are (or were for their time).
Jenny was an abused little girl, that grew into a wounded and wrecked woman.  Watch carefully, even though she was living the high life, none of it was hers. She was always portrayed as property untill she finally gives herself over to the only person who ever treated her well.  Which, come on, she knew it was a pity fuck, and that he would take care of her.  When she was on her own, as a single mom, she's portrayed as a waitress.  Don't even get me started.

Scarlet, for all her amazing courage and dirty deeds was no less than property.  Marrying men she didn't love so she could have some sort of ownership and rights.  She legally couldn't have owned Tara at that time.  Remember when she goes to beg Rhett for the money for the taxes, and she goes to great lengths to visibly entice him and manipulate him?

Remember when he kisses her hands and calls her out for working like a "field hand" (slave) and shames her for doing manual labor?  Wtf is chivalrous about that?  How in the world was anyone supposed to keep up the former standard of appearances in that time?

Does he protect her?  No.  

Was she ever protected?  No.  From the first scene, it's very clear that Scarlet is for sale.  Because of her attractive qualities, she was a hot commodity for her family's continued success.

I know, it's not anywhere even close to being beaten and denied everything that a human should have choices about.  But (and I know this is gonna be controversial) it kind of was.  Father's did sell their daughters.  Women weren't allowed to own property or vote.  They were often abused physically, sexually, emotionally.  They were denied the education that men received.  

I can't deal with this.

Slavery still exists.  I'm not sure how or where or anything because I'm a stupid, spoiled, white person that hasn't had to see it in 2020.  I have experienced the continuing abuse and discrimination against women of all colors.  And I have witnessed through my friends the continuing bull shit people of color face every single day.

It seems like the only safe thing to be is a white American straight male.  

Is it useless to hope that it can get better?

Much love,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment